Privacy and emails ?
After reading Benjamin Mako Hill's post "Google has most of my email because it has all of yours", I was wondering if my emails were following the same evolution.
I keep all my emails from 1998, so why not checking ?
I patched a bit his code to analyse my Thunderbird repositories and to fit my email providers, and here are the results:
For my professional activities, I use several accounts from my employers, and, from time to time, a gmail account. For my personal concerns, I use a Yahoo account.
- Globally, my employer knows about ~90% of my emails, Google ~15% and Yahoo ~10%.
- From last years, proportion of my Google emails is gently decreasing - from 25% to 15%.
- Proportion of my Yahoo emails is stable at 10%.
- Concerning my professional emails, my employer remains my main email provider with almost 100% of my emails.
- But Google still knows 15% of my professional emails with 25% of replies.
- Yahoo knows only 5% of those.
- Concerning my personal emails, Yahoo is now providing 100% of my email interactions - right respecting my choice.
- My employer was aware of 75% of my emails, but this proportion has drastically dropped to 25%.
- Google was also aware of 50% of my emails, but this proportion has also dropped to 10%.
Let's do research to eradicate this digital scourge !
Created: Sat Nov 15 13:55:42 CST 2014
Updated: Sun Jul 26 19:46:16 CEST 2015